I tried out a well-known cloud-based antivirus solution. It worked well enough, but after I installed it, I noticed that my FireFox searches were now redirected from Google to Yahoo!. In the FF config screen (which can be opened by typing “about:config” in the location bar), I noticed that the keyword.URL setting had been changed to Yahoo!:
This setting dictates which search service is used when the user enters a keyword (i.e., anything that does not resemble a URL like http://yahoo.com). While Yahoo! search is no doubt capable, this type of unsolicited change is quite annoying, particularly for a product that’s intended to detect and remove malware. I reverted the setting back to Google by changing its value to
Needless to say I wasn’t sticking with this product.